While one of 20th Century Fox’s marketing stunts for “A Cure for Wellness” — involving fake news stories planted across the web — blew up in its face, the studio also spread fiction of a more traditional sort across Facebook to promote the movie.
The studio worked with fan-fiction site Wattpad to enlist writers to craft stories inspired by the thriller, about a mysterious wellness center in the Swiss Alps. Unlike with the fake-news campaign, for which Fox apologized on Thursday, the Wattpad promos are clearly labeled as a “Cure for Wellness” tie-in.
Using Facebook’s Instant Articles feature, Wattpad earlier this month pushed the first chapter of “Pure” by Sandra Grayson (known as @SheHopes on the site) to the social network’s users to read for free in paid and organic promotions.
Grayson’s story, about a divorcee who seeks therapy at what turns out to be an ominous treatment facility, »
- Todd Spangler
Similar News ItemsParamount Pictures [us]
- Writers Guild Awards 2017: Complete Winners List! (From Entertainment Tonight. 20 February 2017, 9:05 AM, PST)
- WGA winners include “Arrival” and “Moonlight” (From Hollywoodnews.com. 20 February 2017, 8:33 AM, PST)
- 2017 Writers Guild Awards Winners: ‘Moonlight,’ ‘Arrival,’ ‘Atlanta’ and ‘The Americans’ Win Big (From Indiewire. 19 February 2017, 4:50 PM, PST)
Universal Cable Productions [us]
- The Royals: Renewed for Season 4! (From TVfanatic. 16 February 2017, 9:09 AM, PST)
- The Royals Renewed for Season 4 (From TVLine.com. 16 February 2017, 6:30 AM, PST)
- E! Picks Up Fourth Season Of ‘The Royals’; Third Season Finale Airs Sunday (From Deadline TV. 16 February 2017, 6:28 AM, PST)
A Cure for Wellness (2016)
- Weekend Box Office: New Arrivals Hit a Wall (From TheHDRoom. 20 February 2017, 2:38 PM, PST)
- Box Office Report: 'Lego Batman' Nearly Bests Three Newbies By Itself for Second Straight Win (From Movies.com. 20 February 2017, 1:30 PM, PST)
- Newswire: Weekend Box Office: This is why we can’t have weird things (From The AV Club. 20 February 2017, 11:49 AM, PST)