While one of 20th Century Fox’s marketing stunts for “A Cure for Wellness” — involving fake news stories planted across the web — blew up in its face, the studio also spread fiction of a more traditional sort across Facebook to promote the movie.
The studio worked with fan-fiction site Wattpad to enlist writers to craft stories inspired by the thriller, about a mysterious wellness center in the Swiss Alps. Unlike with the fake-news campaign, for which Fox apologized on Thursday, the Wattpad promos are clearly labeled as a “Cure for Wellness” tie-in.
Using Facebook’s Instant Articles feature, Wattpad earlier this month pushed the first chapter of “Pure” by Sandra Grayson (known as @SheHopes on the site) to the social network’s users to read for free in paid and organic promotions.
Grayson’s story, about a divorcee who seeks therapy at what turns out to be an ominous treatment facility, »
- Todd Spangler
Similar News ItemsParamount Pictures [us]
- TWC Schedules ‘Paddington 2’ For Wide Release (From Deadline. 26 May 2017, 3:13 PM, PDT)
- Paramount Nudges ‘Sherlock Gnomes’ To Later Release Date (From Deadline. 26 May 2017, 1:39 PM, PDT)
- Movie Review: Baywatch (From CinemaNerdz. 26 May 2017, 8:15 AM, PDT)
Universal Cable Productions [us]
- ‘Suits’ Creator Aaron Korsh Inks New Overall Deal With Universal Cable Prods. (From Deadline TV. 25 May 2017, 10:00 AM, PDT)
- Lock Eyes with Character Images for Syfy’s Blood Drive Series (From DailyDead. 24 May 2017, 6:29 AM, PDT)
- Scripted Series About Anna Wintour and Tina Brown Greenlit by Bravo (From Women and Hollywood. 16 May 2017, 1:01 PM, PDT)
A Cure for Wellness (2016)
- German Film Budgets Experience Boom Under Merkel (From Variety - Film News. 19 May 2017, 9:00 PM, PDT)
- Will Alien: Covenant Revive The Ailing Franchise Or Do More Damage? -- The Weekend Warrior (From LRM Online. 17 May 2017, 8:00 AM, PDT)
- The Lego Batman Movie Leads The Way For Golden Trailer Awards (From We Got This Covered. 12 May 2017, 4:50 PM, PDT)