Disney’s “Beauty and the Beast” scored with audiences, racking up a massive $170 million domestically to become the biggest March debut ever and the seventh-best opening in history. The fairy tale remake added an additional $180 million to its haul from international territories, raking in big bucks in major markets like China and the United Kingdom.
Once again, Disney has successfully updated a “tale as old as time” for a new generation of moviegoers while retaining the sense of wonder and magic that made the 1991 animated version of “Beauty and the Beast” a cultural touchstone for an older audience. It continues the studio’s successful collection of live-action remakes of cartoon favorites like “The Jungle Book” and “Cinderella” and helps propel star Emma Watson to the top of the A-list. Here are five reasons “Beauty and the Beast” smashed records.
1.) Emma Watson Delivered
Movie fans grew up with Watson, watching the »
- Brent Lang
Similar News ItemsStar Wars (1977)
- George Lucas Still Offers Kathleen Kennedy Jedi Ideas For ‘Star Wars’ (From The Playlist. 16 August 2017, 11:55 AM, PDT)
- Death Star May Be Featured in Han Solo Film, Ron Howard Teases (From The Hollywood Reporter - Movie News. 16 August 2017, 11:02 AM, PDT)
- The Force Unleashed’s Starkiller almost appeared in Star Wars Rebels (From Flickeringmyth. 16 August 2017, 10:57 AM, PDT)
Robert Downey Jr.
- Casey Affleck Doesn't Seem To Keen On Playing A Superhero (From LRM Online. 16 August 2017, 10:25 AM, PDT)
- Paul Bettany on Avengers: Infinity War: “It felt like the biggest movie that I’ll ever make” (From Flickeringmyth. 16 August 2017, 5:08 AM, PDT)
- Spider-Man: Homecoming and Despicable Me 3 share Japan box office (From Flickeringmyth. 15 August 2017, 6:30 PM, PDT)
- Why Oscar-Winning Stars Flopped at the Summer Box Office (From Indiewire. 16 August 2017, 10:13 AM, PDT)
- Leonardo DiCaprio Is Reportedly Dating Yet Another Model (From Popsugar. 15 August 2017, 9:00 PM, PDT)
- Aaron Sorkin's Directorial Debut Molly's Game Gets A Trailer! (From LRM Online. 15 August 2017, 12:50 PM, PDT)