Disney’s “Beauty and the Beast” scored with audiences, racking up a massive $170 million domestically to become the biggest March debut ever and the seventh-best opening in history. The fairy tale remake added an additional $180 million to its haul from international territories, raking in big bucks in major markets like China and the United Kingdom.
Once again, Disney has successfully updated a “tale as old as time” for a new generation of moviegoers while retaining the sense of wonder and magic that made the 1991 animated version of “Beauty and the Beast” a cultural touchstone for an older audience. It continues the studio’s successful collection of live-action remakes of cartoon favorites like “The Jungle Book” and “Cinderella” and helps propel star Emma Watson to the top of the A-list. Here are five reasons “Beauty and the Beast” smashed records.
1.) Emma Watson Delivered
Movie fans grew up with Watson, watching the »
- Brent Lang
Similar News ItemsStar Wars (1977)
- Today in Movie Culture: New 'Alien: Covenant' Prologue, FaceApp Gets a Movie-Themed Parody and More (From Movies.com. 26 April 2017, 11:00 PM, PDT)
- John Knoll "Tinkering" With A New 'Star Wars' Story Idea (From The Hollywood Reporter - Movie News. 26 April 2017, 5:50 PM, PDT)
- Indiana Jones 5 Release Pushes Back One Of Marvel’s Mystery 2020 Movies (From We Got This Covered. 26 April 2017, 3:16 PM, PDT)
Robert Downey Jr.
- Justin Theroux Not Threatened by Jennifer Aniston's Success (From E! Online. 26 April 2017, 6:50 AM, PDT)
- Will Chris Pratt Be Renewing His Marvel Contract? (From LRM Online. 25 April 2017, 4:45 PM, PDT)
- Chris Pratt initially found the prospect of working with Robert Downey Jr. on Avengers: Infinity War “really daunting” (From Flickeringmyth. 25 April 2017, 3:30 PM, PDT)
- Tom Hardy Apprehends Fleeing Alleged Motorcycle Thief Because He is a Real-Life Action Hero (From Entertainment Tonight. 26 April 2017, 5:59 PM, PDT)
- Watch George Clooney Time-Travel Through the Most Iconic Movie Scenes in New Nespresso Ad (From PEOPLE.com. 26 April 2017, 6:02 AM, PDT)
- Movie News: Scorsese, DiCaprio, De Niro Touted for 'Killers of the Flower Moon'; Margot Robbie to Play Queen Elizabeth (From Movies.com. 24 April 2017, 3:00 PM, PDT)