Disney’s “Beauty and the Beast” scored with audiences, racking up a massive $170 million domestically to become the biggest March debut ever and the seventh-best opening in history. The fairy tale remake added an additional $180 million to its haul from international territories, raking in big bucks in major markets like China and the United Kingdom.
Once again, Disney has successfully updated a “tale as old as time” for a new generation of moviegoers while retaining the sense of wonder and magic that made the 1991 animated version of “Beauty and the Beast” a cultural touchstone for an older audience. It continues the studio’s successful collection of live-action remakes of cartoon favorites like “The Jungle Book” and “Cinderella” and helps propel star Emma Watson to the top of the A-list. Here are five reasons “Beauty and the Beast” smashed records.
1.) Emma Watson Delivered
Movie fans grew up with Watson, watching the »
- Brent Lang
Similar News ItemsStar Wars (1977)
- Wow! Bill Pullman Didn’t Even See Star Wars Before Spaceballs (From Screen Rant. 25 June 2017, 2:38 PM, PDT)
- Forces of Destiny Writer on the ‘Everyday Heroism’ Of Star Wars Women (From Screen Rant. 25 June 2017, 1:42 PM, PDT)
- Mark Hamill: Jar Jar Binks Tongue Candy Wins Goofiest Star Wars Item (From Screen Rant. 25 June 2017, 1:38 PM, PDT)
Robert Downey Jr.
- Gwyneth Paltrow Has A Cameo In Spider-Man: Homecoming (From We Got This Covered. 25 June 2017, 5:54 PM, PDT)
- Watch the Full Spider-Man: Homecoming Press Conference Video (From MovieWeb. 25 June 2017, 5:37 PM, PDT)
- Spider-Man: Homecoming 2 Will Have More McU Connections (From MovieWeb. 25 June 2017, 5:30 PM, PDT)
- Killings said to have been inspired by Leonardo DiCaprio film The Basketball Diaries spotlighted on CopyCat Killers (From Monsters and Critics. 24 June 2017, 2:09 PM, PDT)
- The Twilight Zone gets Christine Lavaf as screenwriter for feature film (From Flickeringmyth. 21 June 2017, 3:28 AM, PDT)
- The Twilight Zone movie lands new writer (From Den of Geek. 20 June 2017, 7:17 PM, PDT)