Disney’s “Beauty and the Beast” scored with audiences, racking up a massive $170 million domestically to become the biggest March debut ever and the seventh-best opening in history. The fairy tale remake added an additional $180 million to its haul from international territories, raking in big bucks in major markets like China and the United Kingdom.
Once again, Disney has successfully updated a “tale as old as time” for a new generation of moviegoers while retaining the sense of wonder and magic that made the 1991 animated version of “Beauty and the Beast” a cultural touchstone for an older audience. It continues the studio’s successful collection of live-action remakes of cartoon favorites like “The Jungle Book” and “Cinderella” and helps propel star Emma Watson to the top of the A-list. Here are five reasons “Beauty and the Beast” smashed records.
1.) Emma Watson Delivered
Movie fans grew up with Watson, watching the »
- Brent Lang
Similar News ItemsStar Wars (1977)
- Finn’s Going To Be A Big Deal In Star Wars: The Last Jedi (From We Got This Covered. 23 May 2017, 9:31 PM, PDT)
- Teen Attemps Backflip at his Graduation and It Does Not Go Well (From TVovermind.com. 23 May 2017, 7:00 PM, PDT)
- John Boyega says The Last Jedi will see Finn finally become a "big deal" (From JoBlo. 23 May 2017, 6:59 PM, PDT)
Robert Downey Jr.
- 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Trailer Shows Off Peter's Acrobatic Side (From The Hollywood Reporter - Movie News. 23 May 2017, 12:27 PM, PDT)
- Sam Mendes in talks to direct Disney’s Pinocchio (From Flickeringmyth. 23 May 2017, 9:54 AM, PDT)
- Catching Up with the Classics: ‘Iron Man – Doomquest’ (From Blogomatic3000. 23 May 2017, 4:01 AM, PDT)
- Baby-Mama Glow! Irina Shayk Shines at Cannes Film Festival Nine Weeks After Welcoming Daughter Lea (From PEOPLE.com. 23 May 2017, 2:15 PM, PDT)
- How Titanic Jump-Started 1 of Hollywood's Most Iconic Friendships (From Popsugar. 23 May 2017, 1:35 PM, PDT)
- Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet's Friendship Makes Our Hearts Go On (From Popsugar. 23 May 2017, 10:28 AM, PDT)