Disney’s “Beauty and the Beast” scored with audiences, racking up a massive $170 million domestically to become the biggest March debut ever and the seventh-best opening in history. The fairy tale remake added an additional $180 million to its haul from international territories, raking in big bucks in major markets like China and the United Kingdom.
Once again, Disney has successfully updated a “tale as old as time” for a new generation of moviegoers while retaining the sense of wonder and magic that made the 1991 animated version of “Beauty and the Beast” a cultural touchstone for an older audience. It continues the studio’s successful collection of live-action remakes of cartoon favorites like “The Jungle Book” and “Cinderella” and helps propel star Emma Watson to the top of the A-list. Here are five reasons “Beauty and the Beast” smashed records.
1.) Emma Watson Delivered
Movie fans grew up with Watson, watching the »
- Brent Lang
Similar News ItemsStar Wars (1977)
- Barry Jenkins On His James Baldwin Adaptation and Life After ‘Moonlight’ (From Indiewire. 19 September 2017, 8:41 AM, PDT)
- Movie Talk: Jamie Lee Curtis Returning for ‘Halloween’ Reboot/Sequel (From Collider.com. 18 September 2017, 11:06 AM, PDT)
- The Craziest Hollywood Movies of the 21st Century — IndieWire Critics Survey (From Indiewire. 18 September 2017, 9:35 AM, PDT)
Robert Downey Jr.
- Amusing Avengers 4 set photo featuring Paul Bettany’s Vision (From Flickeringmyth. 14 September 2017, 3:51 PM, PDT)
- Another Avengers 4 Set Snap Places Black Widow Between Hulk And Iron Man (From We Got This Covered. 14 September 2017, 3:12 PM, PDT)
- Captain America concept art from the Marvel Studios opening logo (From Flickeringmyth. 14 September 2017, 2:02 PM, PDT)
- Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation Awards $20 Million in Environmental Grants (From Variety - Film News. 19 September 2017, 6:39 PM, PDT)
- ‘Akira’ Back? ‘Thor: Ragnarok’ Helmer Taika Waititi In Talks (From Deadline. 19 September 2017, 4:47 PM, PDT)
- Leonardo DiCaprio Announces $20 Million Grant to Battle Climate Change and 'Build a Brighter Future' (From PEOPLE.com. 19 September 2017, 2:36 PM, PDT)