Disney’s “Beauty and the Beast” scored with audiences, racking up a massive $170 million domestically to become the biggest March debut ever and the seventh-best opening in history. The fairy tale remake added an additional $180 million to its haul from international territories, raking in big bucks in major markets like China and the United Kingdom.
Once again, Disney has successfully updated a “tale as old as time” for a new generation of moviegoers while retaining the sense of wonder and magic that made the 1991 animated version of “Beauty and the Beast” a cultural touchstone for an older audience. It continues the studio’s successful collection of live-action remakes of cartoon favorites like “The Jungle Book” and “Cinderella” and helps propel star Emma Watson to the top of the A-list. Here are five reasons “Beauty and the Beast” smashed records.
1.) Emma Watson Delivered
Movie fans grew up with Watson, watching the »
- Brent Lang
Similar News ItemsStar Wars (1977)
- Lucasfilm Is Planning Future Star Wars Spin-Off Movies Soon (From MovieWeb. 23 April 2017, 4:18 PM, PDT)
- The Fate of the Furious tops $900 million worldwide (From Flickeringmyth. 23 April 2017, 2:45 PM, PDT)
- Cinemaholics #11: Who Are Rey’s Parents In Star Wars? (From We Got This Covered. 23 April 2017, 1:40 PM, PDT)
Robert Downey Jr.
- 10 Actors Cast As The Wrong Characters In Comic Book Movies (From We Got This Covered. 23 April 2017, 7:50 AM, PDT)
- Jon Favreau’s 7 Rules for Making a Good Movie, from ‘The Jungle Book’ to ‘The Lion King’ (From Indiewire. 22 April 2017, 12:39 PM, PDT)
- The Marvel Cinematic Universe May Never Be The Same Again After Avengers: Infinity War (From We Got This Covered. 21 April 2017, 5:46 PM, PDT)
- Martin Scorsese, Leonardo DiCaprio and Robert De Niro could team for Killers of the Flower Moon (From Flickeringmyth. 23 April 2017, 3:06 PM, PDT)
- Katy Perry and Orlando Bloom Greet Each Other but ‘Weren’t Friendly’ at Hollywood Party: Source (From PEOPLE.com. 23 April 2017, 2:08 PM, PDT)
- These Snaps of Stars at Coachella Will Make You Feel Like You're at the Festival, Too (From Popsugar. 23 April 2017, 11:45 AM, PDT)