Disney’s “Beauty and the Beast” scored with audiences, racking up a massive $170 million domestically to become the biggest March debut ever and the seventh-best opening in history. The fairy tale remake added an additional $180 million to its haul from international territories, raking in big bucks in major markets like China and the United Kingdom.
Once again, Disney has successfully updated a “tale as old as time” for a new generation of moviegoers while retaining the sense of wonder and magic that made the 1991 animated version of “Beauty and the Beast” a cultural touchstone for an older audience. It continues the studio’s successful collection of live-action remakes of cartoon favorites like “The Jungle Book” and “Cinderella” and helps propel star Emma Watson to the top of the A-list. Here are five reasons “Beauty and the Beast” smashed records.
1.) Emma Watson Delivered
Movie fans grew up with Watson, watching the »
- Brent Lang
Similar News ItemsStar Wars (1977)
- Hear Ron Howard Narrate ‘Star Wars’ With His ‘Arrested Development’ Voice (Video) (From The Wrap. 25 July 2017, 3:28 PM, PDT)
- Dad of 4-Year-Old Who Burst Into Tears as Stepmom Read Him Wedding Vows Speaks Out: 'I Was Trying Not to Lose It' (From PEOPLE.com. 25 July 2017, 1:04 PM, PDT)
- Fox Teams With Russo Brothers in Finance-Distribution Movie Deal (From Variety - Film News. 25 July 2017, 12:47 PM, PDT)
Robert Downey Jr.
- Lionsgate, ‘John Wick’ Producer Team on Female-Driven Action Movie ‘Ballerina’ (From Variety - Film News. 25 July 2017, 4:59 PM, PDT)
- Lionsgate Plotting 'John Wick' Universe With 'Ballerina' Action Script (Exclusive) (From The Hollywood Reporter - Movie News. 25 July 2017, 1:31 PM, PDT)
- Marvel officially releases its Avengers: Infinity War triptych poster (From Flickeringmyth. 24 July 2017, 2:35 AM, PDT)
- Leonardo DiCaprio Is Rebooting The Right Stuff for TV (From TVGuide - Breaking News. 25 July 2017, 3:35 PM, PDT)
- Watch: Inside Marlon Brando's Exotic Resort: Everything You Need to Know About the Private Island in French Polynesia (From PEOPLE.com. 25 July 2017, 2:39 PM, PDT)
- Leonardo DiCaprio, National Geographic Developing 'The Right Stuff' Series (From Rolling Stone. 25 July 2017, 2:24 PM, PDT)