Let’s be honest: Gugu Mbatha-Raw should be a star. After her revelatory performances in “Belle” and “Beyond The Lights,” she should be on the short list of must-land leading ladies from prestige Oscar bait to summer blockbusters. It hasn’t happened yet, but the Brit is in the middle of a noteworthy phase of her career that might finally put her front and center.
Last year, Mbatha-Raw co-starred in the incredible “San Junipero” episode of “Black Mirror” and stole a scene or two from Jessica Chastain in “Miss Sloane.” This past weekend, she starred in the box-office smash “Beauty And The Beast” as Plumette (a mostly vocal performance), and in October will appear in the sci-fi thriller “God Particle,” which was recently revealed to be the third installment of the “Cloverfield” franchise (whatever that really means).
- Gregory Ellwood
Similar News ItemsJessica Chastain
- Betty Gilpin Says Shows Like ‘Glow’ Are a ‘Step In The Right Direction’ For Women On Screen (From The Wrap. 23 June 2017, 4:38 PM, PDT)
- Dazzler Will Be Introduced in X-Men: Dark Phoenix (From MovieWeb. 23 June 2017, 2:27 PM, PDT)
- Dazzler Confirmed To Appear In X-Men: Dark Phoenix (From We Got This Covered. 23 June 2017, 12:18 PM, PDT)
- The 25 Best Sexy Movies of the 21st Century, From ‘Y Tu Mamá También’ to ‘Blue is the Warmest Color’ (From Indiewire. 23 June 2017, 7:06 AM, PDT)
- ‘Black Mirror’: Netflix Submits Episodes as Movies in Sneaky Emmys Strategy (From Indiewire. 15 June 2017, 6:46 AM, PDT)
- Black Mirror: Netflix Anthology Series Coming to Bookstores (From TVSeriesFinale. 14 June 2017, 9:00 PM, PDT)
Beauty and the Beast (2017)
- Rumor: The Batman Is Inspired By The Arkham Games (From We Got This Covered. 25 June 2017, 4:18 PM, PDT)
- J.K. Rowling Reveals New Info About a Second Harry Potter (From Entertainment Tonight. 24 June 2017, 4:25 PM, PDT)
- Scarlett Johansson Had Two Flops In a Row, So Now It’s Time For Her to Make ‘Black Widow’ (From Indiewire. 19 June 2017, 10:48 AM, PDT)