The “Game of Thrones” Season 7 premiere broke ratings records on HBO Sunday night.
The episode drew 16.1 million total viewers, including 10.1 million who watched on the linear channel and the rest coming from DVR and streaming. That represents an incredible 50% increase from last year’s premiere, when the show premiered in the spring when TV viewership is typically higher than the summer. That also makes the episode the most-watched season premiere for any HBO series to date. The Season 7 premiere also saw the highest number of concurrent viewers across the streaming services HBO Go and HBO Now.
“Game of Thrones” Season 6 ultimately averaged a gross audience of 25.7 million viewers per episode across platforms and in delayed viewing, making it the most watched season of an HBO series on record. The series is also a rarity in today’s television landscape, in that its viewership has increased with each season.
In addition, the »
- Joe Otterson
Similar News Items"Game of Thrones" (2011)
- 'Game of Thrones' Podcast: Looking Back at a Giant Theory About Westeros (From hollywoodreporter_tv. 26 September 2017, 5:00 AM, PDT)
- 'Game of Thrones' Podcast: Looking Back at a Giant Theory About Westeros (From The Hollywood Reporter - TV News. 26 September 2017, 5:00 AM, PDT)
- Wonder Woman Star Gal Gadot And More Celebs Read Mean Tweets About Themselves (From ComicBookMovie. 26 September 2017, 2:35 AM, PDT)
- Ed Sheeran Surprises Patients at Boston Children’s Hospital with Acoustic Set: ‘He Was an A+ Class Act’ (From PEOPLE.com. 25 September 2017, 9:26 AM, PDT)
- Sam Smith Stands Up For Ed Sheeran After Being Called ‘A Song Wh*re’ (From ET Canada. 25 September 2017, 6:52 AM, PDT)
- Ed Sheeran, Migos to Perform on MTV’s ‘Trl’ Premiere (From Variety - TV News. 25 September 2017, 5:59 AM, PDT)