The “Game of Thrones” Season 7 premiere broke ratings records on HBO Sunday night.
The episode drew 16.1 million total viewers, including 10.1 million who watched on the linear channel and the rest coming from DVR and streaming. That represents an incredible 50% increase from last year’s premiere, when the show premiered in the spring when TV viewership is typically higher than the summer. That also makes the episode the most-watched season premiere for any HBO series to date. The Season 7 premiere also saw the highest number of concurrent viewers across the streaming services HBO Go and HBO Now.
“Game of Thrones” Season 6 ultimately averaged a gross audience of 25.7 million viewers per episode across platforms and in delayed viewing, making it the most watched season of an HBO series on record. The series is also a rarity in today’s television landscape, in that its viewership has increased with each season.
In addition, the »
- Joe Otterson
Similar News Items"Game of Thrones" (2011)
- Men behaving badly: how the white middle-class everyman became 2017's antihero (From The Guardian - TV News. 28 July 2017, 7:37 AM, PDT)
- The Duplass Brothers are Back on TV! 7 Reasons to Get Excited About ‘Room 104’ (From Indiewire Television. 28 July 2017, 6:00 AM, PDT)
- The Duplass Brothers are Back on TV! 7 Reasons to Get Excited About ‘Room 104’ (From Indiewire. 28 July 2017, 6:00 AM, PDT)
- Game of Thrones Broke Everyone's Hearts With This Emotional Arya Scene (From BuzzSugar. 27 July 2017, 2:50 PM, PDT)
- Little Girl Goes Through Whirlwind Of Emotions After Getting Ed Sheeran Tickets (From ET Canada. 27 July 2017, 7:17 AM, PDT)
- Usher's Amazing Carpool Karaoke Will Make You Say "Yeah!" (From Popsugar. 26 July 2017, 5:00 PM, PDT)