It seems that audiences are eager to drown out the threat of nuclear armageddon on the Korean peninsula by hitting up the multiplexes this weekend. Nothing makes Americans forget about a looming missile crisis like a demonically possessed children’s toy.
With cable news chyrons blaring the latest in the war of words between Kim Jong Un and President Donald Trump, “Annabelle: Creation” is shaping up to be a much more potent force than initially anticipated. The Warner Bros. and New Line horror film is on track to bring in as much as $38 million this weekend from 3,502 locations, according to Friday afternoon projections. Some rival studios even think it has a chance of hitting $40 million. No matter where it lands, the opening weekend will be a nice return on the film’s $15 million production budget. It’s also a much bigger debut than the $25 million launch that many were predicting the film would enjoy.
- Brent Lang
Similar News ItemsChristopher Nolan (I)
- Christopher Nolan flying to China to support Dunkirk release (From Flickeringmyth. 17 August 2017, 12:05 PM, PDT)
- Producer vs. Director: The Case of Zack Snyder (From Flickeringmyth. 17 August 2017, 9:14 AM, PDT)
- 7 Great Modern Heist Scenes, From ‘The Dark Knight’ to ‘Point Break’ (From Indiewire. 17 August 2017, 8:00 AM, PDT)
- Lynn Shelton’s Drama ‘Outside In’ Sells to The Orchard in Advance of Toronto Premiere (From Indiewire. 17 August 2017, 9:00 AM, PDT)
- “Captain Marvel” Lands New Screenwriter (From Women and Hollywood. 16 August 2017, 2:01 PM, PDT)
- ‘Captain Marvel’ Concept Art Revealed (From Age of the Nerd. 16 August 2017, 1:12 PM, PDT)
The Dark Tower (2017)
- Stephen King adaptation It looks set to float with record-breaking September opening (From Flickeringmyth. 17 August 2017, 9:15 AM, PDT)
- Not Surprisingly, ‘It’ is Expected to Break Box Office Records (From Bloody-Disgusting.com. 17 August 2017, 8:46 AM, PDT)
- ‘It’ Could Be the Savior the Box Office Desperately Needs With Record-Breaking Opening (From Indiewire. 17 August 2017, 8:12 AM, PDT)