The future of local television is threatened unless TV station owners are allowed to bulk up to compete more effectively with MVPDs and digital competitors. That’s what Sinclair Broadcast Group is telling the FCC in its reply to the flood of comments and petitions opposing Sinclair’s pending $3.9 billion buyout of Tribune Media.
Today is the deadline for Sinclair to respond to more than 1,000 comments that poured in to the FCC from individuals and competitors urging the commission to block the deal. The union of Sinclair and Tribune would create a broadcast TV behemoth with more than 200 stations reaching 72% of U.S. TV households.
Sinclair’s 173-page filing reiterates the company’s main selling points to investors and regulators since the merger agreement was reached in May. Local TV station owners need to achieve greater scale to compete with MVPDs and digital upstarts that have also been in consolidation mode. Replies »
- Cynthia Littleton
Similar News ItemsEdward R. Murrow
- NBC Touts Megyn Kelly’s Softer Side in Bid to Launch New Morning Show (From Variety - TV News. 21 September 2017, 5:30 AM, PDT)
- Hln Picks Up Activist News Series ‘ASPIREist’ with Ben Affleck, Russell Brand (From The Wrap. 16 September 2017, 12:48 PM, PDT)
- AFI, Kennedy Center Honors Founder George Stevens Jr. on His Youth Spent on His Father’s Film Sets (From Variety - Film News. 15 September 2017, 10:15 AM, PDT)
Dish Network [us]
- Newsy to Launch as Cable TV Channel After E.W. Scripps Buys Rltv Contracts (From Variety - TV News. 6 September 2017, 4:30 AM, PDT)
- Critics Of Sinclair-Tribune Deal Tell FCC It Would Politicize Local News, Raise Prices (From Deadline TV. 8 August 2017, 7:49 AM, PDT)
- Dish Network’s Core TV Business Shrank In Q2 While Investors Wait For Deal (From Deadline TV. 3 August 2017, 10:12 AM, PDT)
- Power Outage in Puerto Rico Keeps Residents From Communicating Safety to Loved Ones (From PEOPLE.com. 22 September 2017, 11:53 AM, PDT)
- Hurricane Harvey Disrupts Houston-Area Media As Some Face Massive Repairs (From Deadline TV. 30 August 2017, 10:53 AM, PDT)
- Sinclair-Tribune Merger Opponents Warn of ‘Excessive, Unbalanced Market Power’ (From Variety - TV News. 7 August 2017, 9:53 AM, PDT)