Six people died Wednesday morning when an air conditioning issue forced the evacuation of a Florida nursing home, People confirms.
Six patients at the Rehabilitation Center at Hollywood Hills were pronounced dead as a result of the incident, according to a Hollywood, Florida, police statement obtained by People.
During a news conference Wednesday evening, Chief Tomas Sanchez confirmed the latest death toll to be eight victims. 158 patients were evacuated out of the facility and taken to area hospitals.
Authorities responded to a call for service at the location at around 4 a.m., police said.
“Crews found several patients in varying »
- Char Adams
Similar News ItemsCBS News [us]
- Zach Adams Has Been Found Guilty of First-Degree Murder in the Death of Holly Bobo (From PEOPLE.com. 22 September 2017, 10:37 PM, PDT)
- Oklahoma Couple Sentenced to 20 Years for Torturing and Beating Boy So Badly He Suffered Multiple Strokes (From PEOPLE.com. 20 September 2017, 9:01 PM, PDT)
- Oprah Winfrey Prepares for Her '60 Minutes' Debut -- See the Pics! (From Entertainment Tonight. 20 September 2017, 7:04 PM, PDT)
Rick Scott (X)
- Millions of Florida Residents ‘Miserable Without Power’ in Irma Aftermath — Here’s What to Do (From PEOPLE.com. 13 September 2017, 10:08 AM, PDT)
- It Looks Like a ‘War Zone’: The Most Devastating Pictures from Hurricane Irma Destruction in the Florida Keys (From PEOPLE.com. 12 September 2017, 5:15 AM, PDT)
- Here's How to Help the Victims of Hurricane Irma (From PEOPLE.com. 11 September 2017, 9:21 AM, PDT)
Rick Scott (III)
- 21 School Children Dead After Massive 7.1 Earthquake Hits Mexico (From PEOPLE.com. 19 September 2017, 6:42 PM, PDT)
- Florida Gov. Warns Residents to ‘Prepare for the Worst’ as Trump Declares State of Emergency Ahead of Hurricane Irma (From PEOPLE.com. 5 September 2017, 5:16 PM, PDT)
- 5 Dead, At Least 8 Injured in Shooting at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood Airport, Suspect in Custody (From PEOPLE.com. 6 January 2017, 10:18 AM, PST)