“Blade Runner 2049” is heading for a respectable $45 million opening weekend at 4,058 North American sites, early estimates showed on Friday.
The projection for the sci-fi sequel is in line with recent forecasts of between $45 million and $50 million — similar to 2015’s “Mad Max: Fury Road,” which debuted to $45 million on its way to $154 million domestically. Initial response from Thursday night shows for “Blade Runner 2049” was strong, with 55% of moviegoers rating the film “excellent” and another 30% calling it “very good,” according to comScore’s PostTrak.
“The impressive initial box office returns coupled with the positive critical consensus and most importantly, early raves by moviegoers, portend long-term playability for the film,” said Paul Dergarabedian, senior media analyst with comScore.
“Blade Runner 2049’s” lengthy 163-minute run time holds down the number of showings each day.
- Dave McNary
Similar News ItemsWarner Bros. [us]
- Ant-Man and the Wasp set photos, Jared Leto praises Suicide Squad 2, Black Panther trailer and more – Daily News Roundup (From Flickeringmyth. 16 October 2017, 11:53 PM, PDT)
- Did CBS Just Spoil Green Lantern’s Cameo In Justice League? (From We Got This Covered. 16 October 2017, 7:53 PM, PDT)
- Batman vs Two-Face Could Have Featured Poison Ivy (From Den of Geek. 16 October 2017, 6:13 PM, PDT)
- Mipcom: Colombia’s Dynamo and YouTube Sensation Enchufe TV Co-Produce Enchufe’s First Movie (Exclusive) (From Variety - Film News. 17 October 2017, 4:08 AM, PDT)
- 'Black Panther': New Trailer Shows Michael B. Jordan and Chadwick Boseman at Their Absolute Best -- Watch! (From Entertainment Tonight. 16 October 2017, 12:50 PM, PDT)
- Godless: first trailer for Steven Soderbergh's Netflix show (From Den of Geek. 16 October 2017, 10:13 AM, PDT)
- Pop Addled: Movie Special – Blade Runner 2049 (From Blogomatic3000. 17 October 2017, 2:01 AM, PDT)
- ‘Blade Runner 2049’ 4K and Blu-ray Pre-Orders Live at Amazon (From TheHDRoom. 16 October 2017, 3:41 PM, PDT)
- Happy Death Day Stabs into the Top Spot at the Box Office in its Opening Weekend (From DailyDead. 16 October 2017, 8:35 AM, PDT)