Picking up some time after the events in the first movie, Sean Lau is now the Commissioner of Police after the successful rescue operation. However, things turn bad when his wife and ...
See full summary »
Inspired by the true story known as the Mekong Massacre--two Chinese commercial vessels are ambushed while traveling down the Mekong River in the waters of the Golden Triangle, one of the largest drug-manufacturing regions in the world. 13 sailors are executed at gunpoint, and 900,000 methamphetamine pills are recovered at the scene. Upon discovery, the Chinese government immediately sends a band... See full summary »
In early 1997, mobsters Kwai Ching-hung, Yip Kwok-foon and Cheuk Tze-keung, whom have never met one another, are all in Hong Kong. Thereafter, rumour has it that Hong Kong's three most ... See full summary »
Realizing that he will be defeated in no time during a police showdown, a thug shoots himself to force the cops to cease fire and take him to the hospital. In the hospital, he claims human ... See full summary »
During the warlords era in China, a village located in rural area called Pucheng fell into dangerous situation when its government allocated all its military force to the front line, the ... See full summary »
Sammo Kam-Bo Hung,
Tin Chiu Hung,
Picking up some time after the events in the first movie, Sean Lau is now the Commissioner of Police after the successful rescue operation. However, things turn bad when his wife and daughter are kidnapped. Sean has to seek help from former rival and retired DCP, Waise Lee, to return to his job to help save Sean`s wife and child.
An effective police procedural drama with questionable moments that doesn't live up to the first film
Unlike most Hong Kongers, I wasn't that excited for this film. The directors have a great start with "Cold War", and have let me down with their second film "Helios". But hey, third time's the charm, right?
First things first, I appreciate this film in terms of justifying a sequel during the opening, proving that it is not a cash grab. However, the rest of the film isn't as compelling as the trailer suggests, making you ask: was this sequel the one we wanted? The answer is NO!
Negatives: 1) The dialogue loves to glorify Hong Kong (just like the first one). However, there are some questionable English lines, such as a speech, in which Sean Lau says, "God bless our homeland." (Rant incoming) First, who in the world says that in Hong Kong? Secondly, We don't mind if you make it simple, just be more aware of the cultural differences. Honestly, I know some American films that use this line, but because America does have this line (Forgive me if I'm mistaken). Hong Kongers will never say this line in real life, let alone the Hong Kong Police Force.
In addition, there is no need for English dialogues in some scenes. Though I understand that they were going for internationalism (One Country, Two Systems), the realism decreases with the plethora of English spoken in this film.
2) Some characters were wasted. In particular, Janice Man, who kicks ass in Helios, is reduced to pointless character drama and exposition.
3) Tony Leung's character "M.B. Lee", who proves to be a reasonable cop and a man of honor and ethics, has a sudden character change that, in my opinion, destroys the character and the plausibility of the story.
4) If the first movie left you wanting more, then this film has officially follow the footsteps of "Helios", in that it requires you to sit through another possible sequel in the future, judging by the possible cliffhanger at the end of this film.
5) Too many characters, and not every character is substantial to the plot.
Positives: 1) The visuals are a big improvement over the first film. It looks less fake than the first one.
2) Chow Yun-Fat delivers the best performance in this film. (At one point, he goes full on Nicolas Cage-mode of overacting.)
3) The action scenes, though short in length, were actually well- executed.
Bonus: Aaron Kwok's English accent makes me laugh.
Conclusion: If you were anticipating this film due to the first film's quality, you should lower your expectations a bit. If you are just looking for some entertainment, you'll have a fun time.
6 of 11 people found this review helpful.
Was this review helpful to you?