Seeby nick_p_1996 | created - 18 Jan 2014 | updated - 1 month ago | Public
The ~classics can rule but I prefer contemporary stuff, it removes a layer of artifice in the production and stylistically when they make use of technological advancements in film for me. although some of the campiness of older films whips ass, good contemporary film is also more relevant to some of the more socially conscious political discourse of today which can be good when done right I guess.
Top - The Great Beauty The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Drive Moonlight Mustang Threads Sorry to Bother You Heathers Hereditary A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night Lady Bird Annihilation Blade Runner 2049 Upstream Colour The Last Jedi (good videos about it from Folding Ideas, Shaun and Movies with Mikey)
TV - the leftovers, game of thrones, twin peaks, person of interest, pose
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF6MTRKtYgI INTERESTING REVIEW, GOOD TERMINOLOGY PRIMER
BLADE RUNNER 2049 https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/10/14/the-poetry-of-blade-runner-2049
https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2018/03/12/the-transformative-dream-of-annihilation perfect on annihilation
https://twitter.com/Boringstein/status/1027282964785324032 good thread discussing indie films, gender politics etc.
http://www.pajiba.com/film_reviews/this-is-not-a-review-of-lars-von-triers-the-house-that-jack-built.php caspar on lars von trier
cool theories https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxy2mWm5PpU
Lady Bird review: theshrillest Review by theshrillest Lady Bird 2017 ★★★★½ 16 Mar, 2018
theshrillest’s review published on Letterboxd : some notes
1. I grew up in sacramento 2. I was lady bird's age during the time the movie takes place 3. I have never seen the specificity of sacramento depicted on screen, and it is peculiar to see it that way, through someone else's eyes, the way that you see new york or chicago or paris or london. it is a cliche to say that a movie is a "love letter to city x" or that "city x is a character in movie y" but lady bird (the film) is in love with the city of sacramento in the same way that lady bird (the character) realizes she is in love with sacramento at the end of the movie 4. places are freighted with memories, weighed down by them. when you live in a place for a long time, particularly, you can lay down the layers of your memory over the geography of the place like papier-mache on a frame. the places -- a bend in the road, a vista, a particular building in a particular light -- these all become like a latticework 5. I didn't go to a catholic high school, but I almost did 6. I never wanted to escape sacramento, but I did 7. greta gerwig's directing is so assured and confident -- nothing about this film feels like a debut movie. there is never a cut that feels awkward, which is amazing, particularly with the way that the film treats time 8. saoirse ronan's acting is similarly incredibly naturalistic -- in fact it didn't occur to me to take note of the fact that I was, in fact, watching an actor when I watched her. this sounds like a rudimentary compliment, as (I think) the average person would probably say that good acting doesn't look like acting. in practice, though, a lot of what we describe as good acting, in fact, leaves just enough brushstrokes to remind you that we're watching good acting (see: p much every male character in The Godfather) 9. the way the movie steps through time -- swiftly then slowly then swiftly again -- is exactly how you remember things when you think back on them. in this way, watching the film feels like watching a memory. 10. gerwig is supposedly planning a quartet of movies about sacramento and I will watch each one. 11. I wouldn't know a dave matthews song if I tripped over it but I can tell you that crash into me really was playing quite often in sacramento in 2002, a fact which I know because the topic of the band -- invariably called "dave" by those discussing it -- came up quite often 12. there is a sacramento kings mural in the movie -- if you were in sacramento and a sports fan at the time you'll understand why this was important to include 13. I plan on watching this film many more times, and this is not a feeling that I have about even some movies I'd consider my favorites. this is a movie that demands to be revisited, and not for plot twists or anything like that. 14. "don’t you think they’re the same thing? love and attention?" do I? I'm not sure, but lady bird's mother does. so does lady bird.
- Instant Watch Options
- Movies or TV
- IMDb Rating
- In Theaters
- On TV
- Release Year
1. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
G | 149 min | Adventure, Sci-Fi
After discovering a mysterious artifact buried beneath the Lunar surface, mankind sets off on a quest to find its origins with help from intelligent supercomputer H.A.L. 9000.
Votes: 549,421 | Gross: $56.95M
2. Inglourious Basterds (2009)
R | 153 min | Adventure, Drama, War
In Nazi-occupied France during World War II, a plan to assassinate Nazi leaders by a group of Jewish U.S. soldiers coincides with a theatre owner's vengeful plans for the same.
Votes: 1,137,874 | Gross: $120.54M
3. The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
R | 118 min | Crime, Drama, Thriller
A young F.B.I. cadet must receive the help of an incarcerated and manipulative cannibal killer to help catch another serial killer, a madman who skins his victims.
Votes: 1,149,941 | Gross: $130.74M
4. Drive (I) (2011)
R | 100 min | Crime, Drama
A mysterious Hollywood stuntman and mechanic moonlights as a getaway driver and finds himself in trouble when he helps out his neighbor.
Votes: 526,405 | Gross: $35.06M
5. Spirited Away (2001)
PG | 125 min | Animation, Adventure, Family
During her family's move to the suburbs, a sullen 10-year-old girl wanders into a world ruled by gods, witches, and spirits, and where humans are changed into beasts.
Votes: 566,709 | Gross: $10.06M
7. The Place Beyond the Pines (2012)
R | 140 min | Crime, Drama, Thriller
A motorcycle stunt rider turns to robbing banks as a way to provide for his lover and their newborn child, a decision that puts him on a collision course with an ambitious rookie cop navigating a department ruled by a corrupt detective.
Votes: 228,704 | Gross: $21.38M
10. Jackie Brown (1997)
R | 154 min | Crime, Drama, Thriller
A middle-aged woman finds herself in the middle of a huge conflict that will either make her a profit or cost her life.
Votes: 286,835 | Gross: $39.67M
11. Trainspotting (1996)
R | 93 min | Drama
Renton, deeply immersed in the Edinburgh drug scene, tries to clean up and get out, despite the allure of the drugs and influence of friends.
Votes: 594,137 | Gross: $16.50M
13. Game of Thrones (2011–2019)
TV-MA | 57 min | Action, Adventure, Drama
Nine noble families fight for control over the mythical lands of Westeros, while an ancient enemy returns after being dormant for thousands of years.
14. This Is Spinal Tap (1984)
R | 82 min | Comedy, Music
Spinal Tap, one of England's loudest bands, is chronicled by film director Marty DiBergi on what proves to be a fateful tour.
Votes: 121,116 | Gross: $0.19M
15. The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)
R | 99 min | Adventure, Comedy, Crime
The adventures of Gustave H, a legendary concierge at a famous hotel from the fictional Republic of Zubrowka between the first and second World Wars, and Zero Moustafa, the lobby boy who becomes his most trusted friend.
Votes: 640,822 | Gross: $59.10M
16. Nightcrawler (2014)
R | 117 min | Crime, Drama, Thriller
When Louis Bloom, a con man desperate for work, muscles into the world of L.A. crime journalism, he blurs the line between observer and participant to become the star of his own story.
Votes: 411,022 | Gross: $32.38M
17. The Big Lebowski (1998)
R | 117 min | Comedy, Crime
Jeff "The Dude" Lebowski, mistaken for a millionaire of the same name, seeks restitution for his ruined rug and enlists his bowling buddies to help get it.
Votes: 670,113 | Gross: $17.50M
18. Leviathan (2014)
R | 140 min | Crime, Drama
In a Russian coastal town, Kolya is forced to fight the corrupt mayor when he is told that his house will be demolished. He recruits a lawyer friend to help, but the man's arrival brings further misfortune for Kolya and his family.
Votes: 43,771 | Gross: $1.09M
19. Superbad (2007)
R | 113 min | Comedy
Two co-dependent high school seniors are forced to deal with separation anxiety after their plan to stage a booze-soaked party goes awry.
Votes: 487,504 | Gross: $121.46M
20. Inherent Vice (2014)
R | 148 min | Comedy, Crime, Drama
In 1970, drug-fueled Los Angeles private investigator Larry "Doc" Sportello investigates the disappearance of a former girlfriend.
Votes: 84,451 | Gross: $8.11M
21. Dawn of the Dead (1978)
Unrated | 127 min | Horror, Thriller
Following an ever-growing epidemic of zombies that have risen from the dead, two Philadelphia S.W.A.T. team members, a traffic reporter, and his television executive girlfriend seek refuge in a secluded shopping mall.
Votes: 104,239 | Gross: $5.10M
Mock of a consumerist society
23. Planet Earth (2006)
TV-PG | 538 min | Documentary
Emmy Award-winning, 11 episodes, five years in the making, the most expensive nature documentary series ever commissioned by the BBC, and the first to be filmed in high definition.
24. The Drop (2014)
R | 106 min | Crime, Drama
Bob Saginowski finds himself at the center of a robbery gone awry and entwined in an investigation that digs deep into the neighborhood's past where friends, families, and foes all work together to make a living - no matter the cost.
Votes: 133,559 | Gross: $10.72M
25. Zombieland (2009)
R | 88 min | Adventure, Comedy, Horror
A shy student trying to reach his family in Ohio, a gun-toting tough guy trying to find the last Twinkie, and a pair of sisters trying to get to an amusement park join forces to travel across a zombie-filled America.
Votes: 466,200 | Gross: $75.59M
26. The Prestige (2006)
PG-13 | 130 min | Drama, Mystery, Sci-Fi
After a tragic accident, two stage magicians engage in a battle to create the ultimate illusion while sacrificing everything they have to outwit each other.
Votes: 1,078,789 | Gross: $53.09M
27. Before Sunset (2004)
R | 80 min | Drama, Romance
Nine years after Jesse and Celine first met, they encounter each other again on the French leg of Jesse's book tour.
Votes: 210,841 | Gross: $5.82M
28. Dead Man's Shoes (2004)
Not Rated | 90 min | Crime, Drama, Thriller
A disaffected soldier returns to his hometown to get even with the thugs who brutalized his mentally-challenged brother years ago.
Votes: 46,542 | Gross: $0.01M
29. Whiplash (2014)
R | 106 min | Drama, Music
A promising young drummer enrolls at a cut-throat music conservatory where his dreams of greatness are mentored by an instructor who will stop at nothing to realize a student's potential.
Votes: 627,363 | Gross: $13.09M
30. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (2007)
PG-13 | 112 min | Biography, Drama
The true story of Elle editor Jean-Dominique Bauby who suffers a stroke and has to live with an almost totally paralyzed body; only his left eye isn't paralyzed.
Votes: 98,953 | Gross: $5.99M
31. Before Sunrise (1995)
R | 101 min | Drama, Romance
A young man and woman meet on a train in Europe, and wind up spending one evening together in Vienna. Unfortunately, both know that this will probably be their only night together.
Votes: 241,309 | Gross: $5.54M
33. Submarine (2010)
R | 97 min | Comedy, Drama, Romance
15-year-old Oliver Tate has two objectives: To lose his virginity before his next birthday, and to extinguish the flame between his mother and an ex-lover who has resurfaced in her life.
Votes: 80,367 | Gross: $0.47M
34. The Warriors (1979)
R | 92 min | Action, Crime, Thriller
In the near future, a charismatic leader summons the street gangs of New York City in a bid to take it over. When he is killed, The Warriors are falsely blamed and now must fight their way home while every other gang is hunting them down.
Votes: 86,454 | Gross: $22.49M
37. Dope (2015)
R | 103 min | Comedy, Crime, Drama
Life changes for Malcolm, a geek who's surviving life in a tough neighborhood, after a chance invitation to an underground party leads him and his friends into a Los Angeles adventure.
Votes: 77,060 | Gross: $17.47M
38. Me and Earl and the Dying Girl (2015)
PG-13 | 105 min | Comedy, Drama, Romance
High schooler Greg, who spends most of his time making parodies of classic movies with his co-worker Earl, finds his outlook forever altered after befriending a classmate who has just been diagnosed with cancer.
Votes: 113,847 | Gross: $6.74M
39. The Lobster (2015)
R | 119 min | Comedy, Drama, Romance
In a dystopian near future, single people, according to the laws of The City, are taken to The Hotel, where they are obliged to find a romantic partner in forty-five days or are transformed into beasts and sent off into The Woods.
Votes: 186,438 | Gross: $8.70M
40. Love (II) (2015)
Not Rated | 135 min | Drama, Romance
Murphy is an American living in Paris who enters a highly sexually and emotionally charged relationship with the unstable Electra. Unaware of the effect it will have on their relationship, they invite their pretty neighbor into their bed.
42. Victoria (II) (2015)
Not Rated | 138 min | Crime, Drama, Romance
A young Spanish woman who has recently moved to Berlin finds her flirtation with a local guy turn potentially deadly as their night out with his friends reveals a dangerous secret.
43. Some Like It Hot (1959)
Not Rated | 121 min | Comedy, Music, Romance
When two male musicians witness a mob hit, they flee the state in an all-female band disguised as women, but further complications set in.
Votes: 223,488 | Gross: $25.00M
44. Mustang (2015)
PG-13 | 97 min | Drama
When five orphan girls are seen innocently playing with boys on a beach, their scandalized conservative guardians confine them while forced marriages are arranged.
Votes: 31,355 | Gross: $0.85M
45. Blow-Up (1966)
Not Rated | 111 min | Drama, Mystery, Thriller
A mod London photographer finds something very suspicious in the shots he has taken of a mysterious beauty in a desolate park.
47. 10 Cloverfield Lane (2016)
PG-13 | 103 min | Drama, Horror, Mystery