- (November 16, 2003) Originated the role of Marela in the Pulitzer Prize winning drama "Anna in the Tropics" at the Royale Theatre, (Broadway).
- (October 2006) played the role of Matilde in MacArthur Genius Award winner and Pulitzer Prize finalist Sarah Ruhl's play "The Clean House". (Lincoln Center Theater)
- Developed and originated the role of Isabel in the Liz Swados musical "Missionaries" in 1996 at New York Stage and Film and at La Mama ETC. Aspillaga later reprised her role in 1997 at the Brooklyn Academy of Music's Next Wave Festival.
- Originated the role of Lila Santiago in Cusi Cram's play "Lucy and the Conquest" in a workshop at the 2001 Eugene O'Neill Playwrights' Conference and later in the 2005 Williamstown Theater Festival production.
- In 1995 originated the role of Teresa Marquez in Joe Sutton's play "Voir Dire" directed by Douglas Hughes at Seattle Repertory Theater, in both the second stage and main stage productions. Aspillaga later reprised her role in the 1997 Arena Stage/Long Wharf Theater co-production, directed by Gordon Edelstein.
- (June 2005) Played the role of Audrey in The Public Theater's Shakespeare in the Park production of "As You Like It" at the Delacorte Theater in New York City's Central Park.
- (2002) Playwright: "Hush", produced in New York City, as part of INTAR Theatre's New Works Lab 2002.