Nick and Ruben are hoodwinked into a "shootfighter" (no-holds-barred, to the death) martial arts match by the evil Mr. Lee, who has a grudge against world shootfighter champ(and teacher of Nick and Ruben) Shingo.
For the glory, the money and to the death
See more »
Did You Know?
This film reunites William Zabka and Martin Kove from The Karate Kid (1984). See more
(at around 1h 7 mins) After Mongoose is killed, Hawk tells Ruben "Welcome to the finals, you're up next!". However, there are two other fights before Ruben and Hawk enter the ring. See more
When this was first released on video, two version were made: A 94-min R-rated version and a 96-min. unrated version. The unrated version contains more blood and gore and uncut mortal kombat type fatalities. Cut scenes include:
- Lee (Kove) tearing out Shingo's friend's throat.
- At the end of the exhibition match between Boa and Buck, Buck picks up Boa by the throat on to the cage and tears his heart out while Boa spits out blood and blood squirts from the heart. In the R version, we just see Buck slam Boa on to the cage and here him punch into Boa's rib cage and about five to eight cuts.
- A fighter gets his throat slashed and blood sprays out of his throat and blood flows out of his mouth. He then falls on the mat and blood starts leaking out of his throat into a puddle of blood on the mat.
- During another fight, a fighter grabs his opponent's arm and bites a piece of his flesh off. He then spits out the chunk of flesh. In the R version, we see him knaw on it from a distance.
- In the fight between Ruben and Hawk, Hawk is about to get back up to fight Ruben. But since Ruben's sword was pointing down, the sword went into Hawk's stomach. In the unrated version, we see blood leaking out of his stomach and at some times start to squirt.
- In the last fight between Shingo and Lee, Shingo grabs Lee's arm and shatters it and the flesh bursts open exposing the bone and blood from the inside. We then see Lee's battered face and him screaming. In the R version, we just hear Shingo break Lee's arm and then we see Shingo jump down on Lee with a falling knee attack to Lee's back. The R-cut is rarely available to rent and has only been seen on HBO and Cinemax. All rental outlets rent only the Uncut version.
Featured in Midnight Man