This Martin Scorsese film depicts the Janus-like quality of Las Vegas--it has a glittering, glamorous face, as well as a brutal, cruel one. Ace Rothstein and Nicky Santoro, mobsters who move to Las Vegas to make their mark, live and work in this paradoxical world. Seen through their eyes, each as a foil to the other, the details of mob involvement in the casinos of the 1970's and '80's are revealed. Ace is the smooth operator of the Tangiers casino, while Nicky is his boyhood friend and tough strongman, robbing and shaking down the locals. However, they each have a tragic flaw--Ace falls in love with a hustler, Ginger, and Nicky falls into an ever-deepening spiral of drugs and violence.
Tad Dibbern <DIBBERN_D@a1.mscf.upenn.edu>
Don't Push Your Luck.
See more »
Motion Picture Rating
Rated R for strong brutal violence, pervasive strong language, drug use and some sexuality
See all certifications »
Did You Know?
Costume Designer Rita Ryack
said that the costumes are meant to reflect the nature of the story. Meaning that as the story becomes more chaotic, the colors of the costumes become more chaotic. See more
When Nicky and Frank are being photographed by the feds outside the Gold Rush, one of the agents is using a camera with a motor drive sound effect. However, he is shown manually using the camera's film advance lever instead. See more
When you love someone, you've gotta trust them. There's no other way. You've got to give them the key to everything that's yours. Otherwise, what's the point? And for a while, I believed, that's the kind of love I had.
[Ace's car explodes
"This is a fictional story with fictional characters adapted from a true story." See more
In India, the theatrical release was heavily cut, despite of being given an A (adults only) certificate. Following were the cuts made:
- Reduce to a flash the visuals of the woman undressing and her nudity.
- Reduce by 50% the beating of the hand with a hammer.
- Reduce by 50% the scene in which the man is tortured with his head in the vice.
- Reduce by 50% the scene depicting sexual intercourse between Nicky and Ginger.
- Delete the visuals of blood spurting out of the mouth of a man who has been shot in the head.
- Delete the visuals of the plastic bag being pulled over the man's bloody face in the car.
- Reduce by 50% the beating up of Nicky and his brother especially deleting the visuals of their bloody faces.
- Delete all visuals of the battered bodies and delete all close shots of their bloody faces of the men in the grave. General cut: Delete the following phrases wherever they occur: a)Jew Ass b)Mother fucker/mother fucking c)Sisters ass d) Fucking c***t.
Written by Mick Jagger
& Keith Richards
Performed by The Rolling Stones
Courtesy of Promotone B.V.
Published by ABKCO Music, Inc. See more