A failed London musician meets once a week with a woman for a series of intense sexual encounters to get away from the realities of life. But when he begins inquiring about her, it puts their relationship at risk.
Photographer O's lover takes her to a Château, where she is, like other women there, naked, humiliated by whipping, sexual abuse by men etc. When O leaves, her lover gives her to his much older step-brother.
Shin-ah and Dong-ki hook up for an unforgettable night despite the fact that she has a boyfriend. She decides to break up with her boyfriend and hook up with him again. The two madly fall ... See full summary »
A color-blind psychiatrist Bill Capa is stalked by an unknown killer after taking over his murdered friend's therapy group, all of whom have a connection to a mysterious young woman that Capa begins having intense sexual encounters with.
A couple checks into a suite in Las Vegas. In flashbacks we see that he's a computer whiz on the verge of becoming a dot.com millionaire, she's a lap dancer at a club. He's depressed, withdrawing from work, missing meetings with investors. He wants a connection, so he offers her $10,000 to spend three nights with him in Vegas, and she accepts with conditions: four hours per night of erotic play, and no penetration. During the days in Vegas, they get to know each other, have fun, meet a friend of hers; at night, at least after the first night, things seem to get complicated. Is mutual attraction stirring? Will they play by their rules? Can it be about more than money?Written by
As evidenced on the DVD, even the director, Wayne Wang, sums up the movie incorrectly as being about a guy who meets a stripper in a strip club. No, he met her at a coffee shop where he had seen her several times before, he introduced himself, they talked, he asked her what she did, and she told him she was a drummer, but that she supported herself by being a stripper. See more »
When Jerri is yelling at Florence in the hotel room, the crew and equipment are reflected in the mirror. See more »
Women want to feel desired. And men love it when their women make that extra effort to be desirable. After all, without sex, none of us would be born. And we are all born out of a woman's cunt. It is the center of the world. And the more we can do to glorify that holy spot, the more we're doing for mankind.
See more »
I thought this movie was a very worthwhile rental. However, it is not for everyone. Here is what I enjoyed:
1. Extremely convincing acting; 2. Sophisticated scripting and edits; 3. Intelligent dialog; 4. Interesting use of digital video (think grainy "Blair Witch" shots); 5. Some hot sex scenes; 6. Characters that interested me; 7. Deals with very raw and real emotions for these characters; 8. Director doesn't spoon feed the viewer. Some things in the scenes are better left unsaid, and they are left implicit for the viewer to grasp. I enjoy being treated as intelligent; 9. I appreciate the take on the dark side of Internet wiz-kids; 10. The movie succeeded in getting me to feel the mood of the characters very well. The feelings you are left with after watching the film--the ambiguity, the desire, the bitter-sweet frustration, even the slight weariness--enhanced the impact of the film for me.
What you May Not Care For:
1. Was I able to relate to the main male character only because I am a male involved in high-tech field?
2. Very slow pace. This is about burning emotions, coy dialog, and appreciation of believable acting. It's very cerebral. Not a typical drama by any means.
3. If you want to see even more sex, then rent a porn film. The sex here is not just about sex, but about adult loneliness and other adult themes.
4. There is a lot of subtle symbolism and fragments of dialog that you have to pay attention to get the most out of the film.
5. Many people who did not groove with the director as a whole would think the beginning, middle and ending was too slow and not satisfying.
6. If you don't appreciate the challenge of shooting realistic looking digital video in poorly-lit situations you may think the photography sucked. I didn't, it worked for me, but it's not for everyone.
7. Confusing cross-cutting scenes forward and backward in time. I thought it was very appropriate, but it could annoy others looking for simpler fare.
8. Too many things left unsaid in the dialog to be totally clear what is going on. I liked this, thought if very appropriate for what the characters were experiencing, and it made it feel much more voyeuristic, even kinky. Again, not for everyone.
9. You may not be able to get beyond the fact you are supposed to feel sorry for an Internet Wiz Millionaire and a confused young stripper who gets paid a lot of money for one weekend in Vegas. On the hand, they are still just two human beens and that is, I think, the whole point...
10. If you are a horny person looking for naked woman with big boobs I think the film will leave you, well, kind of flat.
In short, an interesting film for a young guy involved in high-tech and likes to think...
23 of 28 people found this review helpful.
Was this review helpful to you?
| Report this