WrestleMania X-Seven (2001 TV Special)
WWF Title: The Rock vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin, WWF Intercontinental Title: Chris Jericho vs. William Regal, WWF tag Team Titles (TLC Match): The Hardy Boyz vs. The Dudley Boyz vs. Edge & Christian, WWF Hardcore Title: Raven vs. The Big Show vs. Kane, WWF Women's Title: Ivory vs. Chyna, Vince McMahon vs. Shane McMahon, Tazz & The Acolytes vs. The Right To Censor, Chris Benoit vs. Kurt Angle, Triple H vs. The Undertaker, The Gimmick Battle Royal, WWF European Title:Test Vs. Eddie Guerrero
- WrestleMania X-Seven is the 17th annual WrestleMania, promoted by the World Wrestling Federation (WWF, until it became the WWE after losing a lawsuit to the World Wide Fund in 2002), and it took place on April 1, 2001, at the Reliant Astrodome in Houston, Texas. The attendance record was a record-breaking 67,925 and it grossed $3.5 million.
This WrestleMania is considered to be the best WrestleMania of all time, because of the thrills and memorable moments of the matches (mostly the main event matches). However, WrestleMania X-Seven is considered to be the conclusion of the Attitude Era, due to "Stone Cold" Steve Austin joining forces with his long-time nemesis, the Chairman of the WWF/WWE, Vince McMahon, as well as WWE's acquisition of long-time competitor WCW.
(c) - refers to the champion prior to the match
Sunday Night Heat: X-Factor (Justin Credible and X-Pac) (with Albert) defeated Steve Blackman and Grand Master Sexay at 2:46. Credible and X-Pac hit their X Marks the Spot finisher on Blackman enabling X-Pac to score the pinball.
1. Chris Jericho (c) defeated WWF commissioner William Regal at 7:08 to retain the WWF Intercontinental Championship. Jericho pinned Regal after a Lionsault.
2. Tazz and the APA (Bradshaw and Faarooq) (with Jacqueline) defeated the Right to Censor (The Goodfather, Val Venis and Bull Buchanan) (with Steven Richards) at 3:52. Bradshaw pinned the Goodfather after a Clothesline From Hell.
3. Kane defeated Raven (c) and the Big Show in a triple-threat hardcore match at 9:17 to win the WWF Hardcore Championship. Kane pinned the Big Show after performing a leg drop off the stage on him.
4. Eddie Guerrero (with Perry Saturn) defeated Test (c) at 8:30 to win the WWF European Championship. Eddie Guerrero pinned Test after hitting him with the championship belt.
5. Kurt Angle defeated Chris Benoit at 14:04. Angle pinned Benoit after a roll-up with the help of his opponent's tights for leverage to win the match.
6. Chyna defeated Ivory (c) at 2:39 to win the WWF Women's Championship. Chyna pinned Ivory after a Gorilla Press Drop.
7. Shane McMahon defeated Vince McMahon (with Stephanie McMahon-Helmsley) in a Street Fight with Mick Foley as the Special Guest Referee at 14:12. Shane pinned Vince after a Coast-to-Coast dropkick on Vince while a trash can was placed against his head.
8. Edge and Christian (w/Rhyno) defeated The Dudley Boyz (Bubba Ray and D-Von) (w/Spike Dudley) (c) and the Hardy Boyz (Jeff Hardy and Matt Hardy) (w/Lita) in a Tables, Ladders, and Chairs II match at 15:47 to win the WWF Tag Team Championship. Edge and Christian climbed up the ladder and retrieved the title bets after pushing Matt Hardy and Bubba Ray off the ladder and through 4 tables.
9. The Iron Sheik last eliminated Hillbilly Jim at 3:07 to win the Gimmick Battle Royale. Sheik threw Jim over the top rope to eliminate him and win the match. Afterwards, in revenge for being eliminated, Sgt. Slaughter performed the Cobra Clutch on The Iron Sheik. The other participants were: Luke Williams, Butch Miller, Duke Droese, Doink the Clown, Nikolai Volkoff, Tugboat, The Goon, Earthquake, Gobbledy Gooker, Brother Love, Michael Hayes, One Man Gang, Kamala, Kim Chee, Jim Cornette, Repo Man, Hillbilly Jim and Sgt. Slaughter.
10. The Undertaker defeated Triple H at 18:57 to extend his undefeated streak to 9-0. The Undertaker pinned Triple H after a Last Ride. The two would later rematch at WrestleMania XVII (27) and WrestleMania XVIII (28), which was a "End of a Era" Hell in a Cell match with Shawn Michaels as the Special Guest Referee, in which Undertaker won both matches, becoming 19-0 and 20-0, respectively. As of WrestleMania 29, The Undertaker is still undefeated at WrestleMania, with a undefeated streak of 21-0.
Main Event: 11. Stone Cold Steve Austin defeated The Rock (c) in a No Disqualification match at 28:07 to win the WWF Championship. Austin pinned The Rock after hitting The Rock sixteen consecutive times with a steel chair, that was given to him by Vince McMahon (who had just been defeated by his son, Shane, earlier).
After Stone Cold won the WWF Championship, he approached Vince McMahon, a man he was considered his mortal enemy, face-to-face and they shook hands, thus cementing Austin's heel turn (a heel, is a term used professional wrestling to describe the bad guy character) and they celebrated their new alliance with sharing beers. Stone Cold "sold out" (sold out in professional wrestling means that he turned on his fans as well anybody that was close unexpectedly) his fans as well as his friend, Jim Ross (the commentator).