House of Tolerance (2011)
Parents GuideAdd to guide (Coming Soon)
Sex & Nudity
- Since the film is set in a brothel there is constant sex and nudity including full frontal (mostly of females, but one male too), though penetration is never seen.
Violence & Gore
- A woman has the sides of her mouth cut open. This is quite graphic and there is a very tense build-up. We also see the bloody aftermath; the woman is screaming and her face is drenched in blood, as it runs down her chest.
- The word 'cock' is used multiple times in the film, 'shit' and 'fuck' are mentioned once in the subtitles. In the case of the latter (and in many other cases) the subtitles are not exact translations of what is said.
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- Smoking of tobacco, cannabis and opium is common, we must remember that none of these were illegal at the time movie is set in. One of the women is addicted to smoking opium. One woman is gifted a black pill of opium by a client who tells her that it doesn't have to be smoked, so she simply chews and swallows the pill. There is also a lot of regular smoking (cigarettes) throughout.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- The film's score is (at times) very unsettling and tense.
- There are constant flashbacks to where a woman gets the sides of her mouth cut open, and this is really frightening and upsetting to watch. The build-up is very tense, though we only actually see what happens explicitly once later in the film.
- At the beginning of the film we see the bloody aftermath of what happened. It is big shock for the viewer as the shot comes out of nowhere and is extremely disturbing, as the woman is screaming and clearly distressed, as well as being soaked in her own blood.
- It very upsetting when one of the women die of syphilis.